Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Trip to the Dentist

*** Dreamt Nov 29-30, 2011 ***

I was in Logan with my married friends Corey and April and we were riding our bikes to the dentist. It so happened that we'd scheduled dental appointments at nearly exactly the same time, so we thought it'd be fun to bike-pool there.

On our way, I started noticing a lot of other people walking the same direction as we were riding. It felt like we were having a pied piper effect, and everybody we'd pass would fall in behind us and start walking in the same direction we were headed.

Finally we arrived at the dentist's office, which looked EXACTLY like the building where I worked while I was in college. We took our bikes to the bike rack and Corey chained the 3 bikes down. At about this point I noticed 2 things. First, my bike didn't having any tires on it...I'd been riding on the rims the whole time, but hadn't noticed until just now. Second, all those people who'd been following us (whom I now saw were all bare-footed, long-haired, flower-carrying hippies right out the 60's) were now headed into the dentist's office.

We made our way through the crowds of hippies to the receptionist desk and she told us a research study being performed by the dentist was going on, and that's what all the hippies were there for; to get molds of their teeth made for money. She asked us to take a seat in the waiting area (which was the atrium of my former workplace). As we waited I started noticing how many of the hippies had dogs, and it was a lot! In fact, a lot of the dogs were in various types of wagons and were being pulled by the hippies. I was extremely annoyed at the situation. I started venting to Corey and April, "What kind of people would bring DOGS to a doctor's office?! What are these people THINKING?? They're just walk-ins, we had appointments....why are WE having to wait??"

I went back to the receptionist to complain, when my two friends got called back for their appointments. I then realized that they were going to finish before me, so Corey would want to take his bike chain, leaving my bike alone and un-secured. I explained this to the receptionist and asked if I could bring my bike inside to keep it safe. She replied that if I wanted to, there was a McDonald's down the road where I could keep it inside. But I REALLY didn't want to have to bring it all the way to the McDonald's, so I started getting more frustrated and didn't know what I was going to do.

About that time, a man working there who could see I was stressed came over to try to make me feel better. He was asking if I'd ever been to that dentist before, to which I angrily replied that I'd been going to that dentist since I was a child. Then he started asking me if I knew if the flavor of Kool-Aid he had was good. I looked at it and saw it was Tropical Punch and told him, "yeah, it's a pretty good flavor". He explained that he didn't know much about Kool-Aid, and was very glad he'd picked a good one. He tore open the packet and poured it into a pitcher of water (which he now somehow had), but I noticed he only poured about half of it in and then set it down on the floor. As he continued apologizing for the wait, I reached down, picked up the packet, and dumped the rest into the pitcher. He then, still very apologetically, said something like, "See!? I don't even know how to make the Kool-Aid!!"

And about then I woke up.

*** ***

1 comment:

Cor-Why? said...

I thought perhaps my wedding day, the birth of my children, or the unveiling of The Baconator would be the happiest day of my life. But, now that I've made it to Jared's dream blog, all I have left on my bucket-list is to crane-kick Ralph Macchio.