Monday, May 5, 2008

Yea-Yay-Yeah


I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! The American public school system has failed us so thoroughly on this topic that I've decided that I have to make a little lesson about it myself. C'mon, guys...."Yea", "Yay", and "Yeah" are not the same word! I'm SHOCKED at the number of times I see these words incorrectly spelled. Be it in emails, letters, blog posts, or whatever, I'm constantly seeing the wrong Y-word used. Let's start off with some formal definitions...

Yea - \ˈyā\ (adverb, noun) : 1.'Yes' - used in oral voting. 2. indeed - formally. 3. 'Not only this but even'.

Yay - \ˈyā\ (interj.) : An exclamation of pleasure, approval, elation, or victory.

Yeah - \ˈyeə, ˈyaə\ (adverb) : 'Yes' - casually.


I know, I know. Typos happen. But this isn't strictly a typo issue. I see it ALL the time in print (mostly, I theorize, because that's MOSTLY what's available to read), but I've seen these same mistakes occur at approximately the same frequency in pen-to-paper writing, so it's not just a simple muscle-memory typo; people, as a majority, seem not to know this.

'Yea'. Now what I see ALL THE TIME is people inappropriately writing/typing 'Yea' when they mean one of the other two. I don't think I've ever seen (or at least noticed) the other spellings used incorrectly. The funny thing, however, is that "yea" should almost NEVER be used!! It's used in voting and in scripture-formal language to express 'indeed' or 'not only this but even...' and that's really about it!! (Ex. "How does the representative from Utah vote that the improper use of 'yea' should be allowed to continue, 'yea' or 'nay'?" "We vote 'nay', yea, we vote 'nay' whole-heartedly.")

'Yay' is our celebratory exclamation. Write this word when you're happy about something (or unhappy but feel like being sarcastic). (Ex. "We're all going to stop mis-using the word 'yea' all the time! Yay!!!")

'Yeah' is probably the most frequently USED word of the three, and yet, the most frequently written as 'yea'. That extra 'h' at the end makes all the difference in the world by changing our 'yeah' from an affirmative vote to a casual 'yes'. (Ex. "Yeah, I'm kinda anal about this whole 'Yea-Yay-Yeah stuff', but it's driving me crazy!")


Help make this a success!! ...It may end up being the first in my adult education series. Next on the docket: How right-of-way works at 4-Way-Stop Intersections.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are things in life that are so much more important. Back on the subject, I did learn so much. So, yea, I will try and start using them correctly.

Jinx said...

Jennie, do we need to have a private lesson?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think that we might. So, yea it may need to be scheduled soon!

Kendra said...

Ummm...Jared, I feel that part of your frustration has come from me. Sorry. You know I just like "Yea" the best. I use it when I mean "Yay!" but that word looks so funny.

Anyway...I will try to be less of a pain in your "yea" in the future. :)

Jinx said...

This was certainly not directly at any one person, but I greatly appreciate your willingness to ease my pain!

Once ewe get inn you're head what uh spelling means, seeing the wrong won just kills ewe two reed. Ya no what eye mean? Even though it still sounds the same, its just knot the same. Give 'yay' uh try four uh while...it'll grow on yew.

Tina said...

GUILTY

Tina said...

Also guilty. -Dave (not Tina)