Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Rubicks Cubes and Pumpkin Carving

I can't remember my dream from a few nights ago well enough to really give a full account of all of the details like I would a normal dream post, so it's going to have to suffice that I share just the tiny part of my dream that I do remember well.

I seem to remember my entire dream taking place inside a mall (for some reason this isn't a particularly unusual locale in my dreams...come to think of it, I've had LOTS dreams that took place entirely in malls...weird).

*** Dreamt Sept. 2-3, 2007 ***

I found myself looking in an interesting store with several little odd things in it. There were mostly brain teasers and magic tricks in the shop, and I found a shelf where they had rubicks cubes. Now I'm a big fan of rubicks puzzles, so I grabbed one off the shelf, and it was the most bizarre rubicks cube I'd ever seen. Instead of being a solid NxN cube, it was made of string and beads and as such didn't hold the shape of a cube incredibly well. I fiddled with it a bit, and finally asked what the deal with it was, and the person working in the shop told me that it was just for show; not really a puzzle at all. I was quite disappointed, but that disappointment didn't last long as I found they had a pumpkin carving section to their store. They had several really interesting pumpkin shavers, and some tools that looked like they'd be SO useful for smoothing. They also had a big selection of patterns, but I think I was more intrigued by the tools.

Sadly, I really don't remember much beyond that, except that it made me VERY excited for the upcoming Halloween season.

***

I'm not sure how many of my blog readers know this, 'cuz last October I'd only been at ButterKnife Estates for a month or two, and I still didn't know many of you, but I am what we call a "pumpkin carver". You see, what we do is around halloween time we go out to a pumpkin patch and find a good pumpkin and then we hollow it out, and then carve something into the front of the pumpkin. But that's not all! We then put a light or candle INSIDE it!! So you can see the carving on the pumpkin even at night!! You should all look into it...I hear it's starting to catch on.

Since having that dream I'm WAY excited for October! Unfortunately, I can't really start carving until about 2 weeks before Halloween, or they'll rot before the big night. But I definately need to start getting ideas for cool pumpkins to make. If anyone has any brilliant ideas, do share.

I was going to post pictures of several of my pumpkins from past years, but I'm sure that I'll make more posts in the month of October regarding pumpkin carving, so I think I'll wait and slowly release the pictures. To hopefully whet your interest, here's a picture of one I did 3 years ago.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

Jinx - That's incredible!!!

I think we should have a pumpkin carving party and you can teach us some of your tricks!

BTW - If I remember correctly didn't you carve several pumpkins last year and have them on display on the Butterknife Estates front porch? Something is catching my memory that there were four or five really coolly carved pumpkins there last year....

Jinx said...

Yep. Those were mine. I'm trying to track down pictures of them, but it's proving to be difficult. I didn't take pictures of my pumpkins last year, but my brother and a friend of mine both did. I texted them both yesterday, and both said that they didn't know where the pictures were, but that they'd look for them. Hopefully a record of my 2006 pumpkins exists somewhere.

AG said...

Wow, and I thought I was obsessed with the carving of gourds. I didn't know--you are much better than I am. I do have a carving kit but it pales in comparison. I love pumpkin carving! Now I am excited for October too.

Jenette said...

If only I could carve pumpkins like that! It would possibly make up for my lack of enthusiasm for the october holiday that may distress my mom.

Elissamae said...

Somehow I missed the whole pumpkin thing last year. How did I miss that? You are very good though Jinx, and I agree with Jenette, I also have a lack on enthusiasm for Halloween, but love Fall. It might spark more of an intrest in the 'holiday'.

Jinx said...

Halloween itself isn't so much my favorite holiday...but the Pumpkin Walk in Syracuse Utah is. The Night of the pumpkin walk is what I refer to as "the big night" in my post. I DO like the halloween season, though, 'cuz (as we've discussed in past Hollywood posts) I'm a fan of scary movies on tv. I, actually, saw a commercial on some channel last night for their upcoming "Month of Scares" (or something like that) and I got really excited. Even though I don't usually sit down and watch the scary movies on tv as much as I just like to have them on in the background while I'm doing other stuff...yes, I know, weird.