Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Persuing Other Opportunities...

The title of this post is the same as the title of the email I just sent to my boss and my current project manager here at SDL. As many of you know, at the end of last week I was offered (and I accepted) a programming position at Dupont Holographics here in Logan. I was so excited for the change, excited to work at a new place, excited to get out of the looming project that's just around the corner here at SDL that I've not been excited for, but as I just wrote and sent that email officially resigning from the lab, I've suddenly (and quite unexpectedly) become quite melancholy about the whole thing.

I've been at SDL my entire college career. It's kinda become my home...it's certainly been much more stable that my living conditions in Logan. While employed at SDL I started my college career, I graduated with my bachelor's, I bought my first car, and I've lived in 4 different houses AND 4 different apartments with a total of 29 different roommates. I've been through a lot while employed at the Lab, and it's kinda sad to see the era come to an end.

But "All good things...", right? In every way that I can see, this is a good move. I am excited for things to come and especially for the opportunity to get out of the "student employee" title that I've held so masterfully for lo these many years. It's been a long, good run, but the call of gainful employment that I've been ignoring since I got my B.S. has finally annoyed me enough to get me to answer. See Kendra...you just gotta keep calling for another year or two, I'll eventually answer the phone.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Congratulations on the new job! It is awesome to move upward and onward. I hope you really like it.

(It is also good to know that eventually you will answer a call. I will keep trying. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is so very exciting about your new job! It is always fun to meet new people and to learn new things!

AG said...

Welcome to adulthood. It is crazy to get a "real" job isn't it? Somehow it is a rite of passage into a world that we would more like to avoid than to be a part of. I am so glad that you found a job that gives you more opportunities. Of course there are always downfalls, for me I had to move away from all of you, but my life will never be the same, in a good way. I am so happy. I hope that this will be a similar step for you.

Elissamae said...

I have to say...in my time of working full time from 8-5...I didn't like it. So, it is probably a good thing that you are going to school as well. That has helped me in my work. I think "I only work until 4, then I can go to class!" Yay! It is exciting that you got a new job though...Congratulations! :)

Thaddeus said...

We'll miss you at SDL. You've been a valued employee all these years. It certainly won't be the same.