Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hospitals: Fact or Fiction?

So this last week I had two hospital experiences: One in real life and one in a dream (Fact & Fiction, get it?!? HA!). Both are somewhat wordy, though, if you may wanna stand up and stretch for a minute before delving into them.

Let's start with that dream:

*** Dreamt Sept 24-25, 2007 ***

I'd just gotten a new job to work at the same place my roommmate Michael P Christensen work, namely in the lab where they clean surgical instruments at Logan Regional Hospital. I was informed that my job was going to consist of two main activities: (1) Cleaning instruments and sending them to the ER when they were needed, and (2) manning the cash register at a little pharmaceutical store that was located above a little mexican market. The kicker was that the store and the Hospital were about 2 miles away from each other. I'd tried asking my new boss about my responsibilities, but he just kept making jokes and wouldn't give me any straight answers...it was really annoying.

My first night on the job I went over to the store and looked on the schedule to find that I was scheduled to work at BOTH places that night...at the SAME TIME!! I panicked. What was I supposed to do!?! No one would tell me. My co-workers didn't seem to have any pity on me, but since the ER seemed like a more important place I decided to go there. Upon arriving at the ER I found my boss again and told him about the double booking thing and he told me, "Oh yeah, that happens sometimes. If you ever get scheduled to be at both places, ALWAYS go to the ER!" So at least I did the right thing!!

As I was there, though, I started to freak out a little because there wasn't ANY close parking. ...I think I'd left my car at the little store 2 miles away. So I asked my boss where I should park in the future and he said, "Okay it's easy, get a piece of paper and write this down..." I grabbed a piece of paper and pencil, but didn't really have to write anything down because the directions he was giving me were already printed word-for-word on the paper I had. Upon closer inspection, I realized that this paper wasn't just typed-up notes on where to park...it was the script for my dream!! Next to his lines was the printed "Boss:" and he was - of course saying exactly what was on the script. His directions on where to park was something like this: "walk 2 blocks west, then turn right and walk about 3 quarters of a mile before turning right again..." this went on for a while, and then the last line of the script was "Everyone together: Then run the last 70 feet to your car as fast as you can." Of course, everybody in the room said it all together ('cuz that's how it was in the script), but the REASON they said it all together was because that's how he always ended the instructions. Incidentally, the reason for the "running as fast you can" was because the parking lot was in a really slummy neighborhood, and if you didn't RUN to your car, you'd probably get mugged.

After all this I really started to freak out! The parking lot he'd described was over 3 MILES away!! I was supposed to work swing shift, park in the worst part of town, then walk THREE MILES to work!?!?! My boss could tell I was freaking out, so he bade me follow him outside so he could show me something. I followed him out to a little patio that was on the back of the ER and he said "watch", as he picked up a golf ball sitting on the ground. He turned to the north and threw it as far as he could...but it didn't get lost...it bounded on houses and cars and buildings etc., until it finally came rolling back to us. He turned to me and said "See!?" Clearly I didn't, so he did the experiment again. He tossed the golf ball as far as he could, but sure enough, it came back to us. "No matter how far you throw it, it ALWAYS comes back", he explained. Suddenly it all made sense. Parking wasn't a big deal at all. I was going to be okay working there at the ER.

***


Are you confused? SO WAS I!! What the HECK did I eat for dinner that night, I ask you!!

Well, 2 days later, I had the opportunity of going to the REAL Logan Regional Hospital to take a drug test and have a pre-employment physical for my new job. You know, I've had to take drug tests and had pre-employment physicals for past jobs, and it was always sort of a "Pee in a cup and make sure you don't have high blood pressure" kinda thing. This was a SERIOUS physical! I was at the hospital for almost an hour and a half!!! After the usual drug test stuff, I had my blood pressure checked, color blindness check, sight test, and then the full physical including the ever exciting hernia test, as well as a myriad of really bizarre little muscle tests.

You know, nothing is more humbling than a full physical. For an hour I had people poking, proding, inspecting, and doing anything else they could think to me, the whole time with the mindset: What can we find wrong with this person?

Bleh. Not the funnest of days ever.

10 comments:

Thaddeus said...

Oooh. Scintillating topic. Are hospitals real? Have you ever actually been in one? I can't wait for this.

Kendra said...

Wow! You've been writing this blog for a long time now. It really will be a novel. Can't wait!

I do have strong opinions about hospitals, so I'm really interested to know if my opinions are based on fact or fiction.

Anonymous said...

I'm can't wait. I've been to a hospital believe it or not, but I'd like to know what you think.

Jenette said...

Are you writing War and Peace or what? Also, I have a lot of candidates if you need to do personal interviews. They all work for me and are at the hospital more than at work it seems.

Jinx said...

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't going to be the longest post ever...although it is going to be somewhat lengthy. Last week was possibly the busiest non-finals week I've ever had in my life, so I never got around to finishing it, but I wanted to post to title as a reminder to myself that I needed to finish writing this. It should be up tonight or tomorrow evening.

Thaddeus said...

Bravada Cadavra! I really liked the comforting golf ball experiment. That would ease my worries; I wish my boss would do something like that for me.

Elissamae said...

That is soooo funny! Jinx, you make me laugh :)

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious! You have some pretty crazy dreams.I'm glad that you did finally understand the golf ball analogy, because I still don't. So, did you pass your drug test and physical????

AG said...

The golf ball experiment reminds me of something that would happen on LOST...it just goes to show you that reality is just a perception, that time in non-linear, and that you shouldn't go near hospitals--fact or fiction.

Kendra said...

I believe my opinion of hospitals have been reinforced by your dream AND by your experience. They are places of trauma (not just the physical type, mind you!). I'm sorry you had to go there for real.

I too wonder what you ate! Actually, I love the golf ball imagery...Jared, you do have an incredible mind. :)