Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit..."

*** Toned-Down on September 4, 2008 ***


Undoubtedly by publishing this I'm just opening up a can of worms, however, this is my soap box to the world, so I feel it necessary to vent.

My roommate Thad invented this game called "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit". In a devious act to back up the claims made in his game, he then wrote a wikipedia page about it, so that he could say he didn't invent it. In a stroke of pure genius he changed some of the rules on the wiki page from his own rules, so it appears that he plays a variation of the "original" version.

The basic idea is that if you can convey the phrase "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit..." to a person on the first day of the month before they have a chance to say it to you, you have successfully stolen their luck for the month.

You may be surprised to hear that Thad doing this to me doesn't annoy me...although I'm sure you won't be to learn that something else does!! "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit" is one of the bizarre little Thadisms that I've come to know in my tenure as one of his roommates. When he does it to me, it's almost endearing, 'cuz he's such a strange little fellow from time to time. When other people do it to me, however, it kind of makes me want to KILL PEOPLE.

When Thad 'Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit's me I think, "GAH!! He got me again!!" When other people do it to me I think, "This isn't my game!! What's wrong with you? You're supposed to get Thad!". When Thad gets me, I don't try to get my other roommates who aren't around...I warn them and advise them to get Thad before he can get them.

To be honest, what annoys me isn't the game or that others are using this Thadism against me...it's that they think that they "got me", that they somehow beat me to the punch and out-smarted me. The truth of the matter is that I couldn't care LESS about getting them. The only person I care to 'get' is the originator Thad

Now I'm sure I just offended several people, because several people did it to me this month whom I KNOW read my blog now and then...although ALL of them got me HOURS after Thad did, I might add, at which point I could have text messaged all of them and got them WAY before they "got me", but I don't WANT to get them!! GAAHHHHH!!!!!

Okay. I've said my peace. I'm sure that several readers of this will, out of spite, "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit" me next month. And once again I'll be incredibly annoyed and be forced to verbally abuse them to myself.

7 comments:

Thaddeus said...

Jared, don't give me more credit than I'm due. I'm not clever enough to make a Wikipedia page. If I tried, you know I would have asked you for help.

Anyway, if you don't want people rabbiting you, you could deflect it with your Jewish calendar. (You're a Jew, remember?)

Kendra said...

Well, Jinx I am very glad that I've never included you in my "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit" group...but I've always known that you've had a certain dislike for the game.

I feel that I should let your readers know, however, that although Thad is awesome in his way of coming up with clever and funny things...this game is more Gillespiesque than a Thadism. My luck was being stolen by his cousins Willie and Steve LONG before Thad started nicking it...and I've known Thad longer. From my understanding from Willie...his family has been playing that game since he was a child. So it's a Gillespie-thing.

Also, because it is Gillepiesque...it is very contagious - because it is crazy, spontaneous and fun. I can't image that they come up with these things to keep among themselves. If so, they would have never come up with Enemy and Defender. I get the feeling that it is the more the merrier. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Personally, I see it as a reminder of the "fun" my friends bring to my life. I know that sounds weird...but it's kinda cool to me even when at 12:05 I am thinking "MAN! NOT AGAIN!" and other such grumblings.

So, please feel free to persist in your opinion of the game...but to call those who do want to join in the fun unintelligent is not only overly harsh, but wrong.

Jinx said...

Apparently I need to make it known (?!) that the first part of this post is satirical.

Also, I really have no problem with you people playing the game. Really, I don't. My issue is neither with the game itself nor with the people who play it. But have you ever been playing tag and accidentally tag somebody who isn't playing? They sortof just stand there and look at you like you're dumb. That's me getting Rabbit-Rabbit-Rabbit'd.

In fact, that tag analogy is perfect....I don't consider people who play the 'game' dumb, until they tag me and relish their 'victory', when I'm so obviously (at least in my mind) not playing.

Yes I made this post harsh, 'cuz I REALLY dislike it when I get tagged, and I figured, "Why beat around the bush?"

Jinx said...

Okay, I just edit the post, toning-it-down some. My decision to do so was based on an apparent failure in the attempted purpose of the post.

My intention was to express how, being someone who doesn't participate in Rabbit-Rabbit-Rabbit, agonizingly frustrated it makes me feel when people Rabbit-Rabbit-Rabbit me, thinking that they beat me to the punch, when in reality I'm not playing.

What came across instead was that Rabbit-Rabbit-Rabbit is a stupid game and everybody who plays it is an idiot.

I think my frustration came across as intended, but it was definitely targeted at the wrong thing.

I'm not one to shy away from saying stuff that will offend people, however I think this post was offending people that it shouldn't have, and for that I apologize. Hopefully this altered version more clearly expresses the target of my frustrations.

Kendra said...

I understand this version SO much better. You really aren't as mean as the last version sounded. :)

You probably are opening up yourself to be "robbed" out of spite...but I promise not to get you. However, I may try to help you come up with ways to get Thad. ;)

Jenette said...

Geez...I never even knew about this game until I was awakened at 2 in the morning (because I am 2 hours AHEAD of you all) by a text. I questioned Thad about it and learned all about the blessed game. But really, how mean is it to steal my luck? I need it more than ever. My attempt to steal yours was in desperation. I couldn't try it with anyone here, because let's be honest, I will have a hard enough time finding friends without this game of crazy time. But I see you may have dropped me from your list of friends. Ha...

AG said...

My, my. What an interesting little rhetorical situation. The revised draft is much clearer Jared. The satire had its purpose though. Maybe I picked it up because I already knew of your feelings about the "bunny game". Isn't revision great. Hope all is still well and that friendship still exists among you northern peoples. :)