Monday, August 11, 2008

What a croc...

Being an avid fan of the Olympic Games, I've spent considerable time the last few days watching various coverage of the Olympics in Beijing.

The best moment so far: The men's 4x100m freestyle swimming relay!! Holy cow!!! If you missed it, I'm so sorry!! If you saw it and didn't jump up screaming as it finished, you're probably a terrible person. It was incredible!! I saw a replay of it this morning on the Today Show and got goose bumps all over again...so amazing!

The worst moment so far: The commercials! What is wrong with advertisers these days?!? Okay so there are a couple of good ones, but so many of them are SO awful!!

This blog isn't so much about a bad commercial, but about a bad product for which I don't ever recall having seen a commercial until this weekend: Crocs.

Why, people?! WHY?!? Alright, calling them a "bad product" may be harsh. I mean, I don't consider fishing waders a bad product, but they shouldn't ever be worn, say, to the mall. That's the problem with crocs. People think it's okay to wear them outside the privacy of their homes. WHY are people wearing them outside the privacy of their homes!?!? WHYYYY?!?!?!

An actual (as close as I can remember the exact words) conversation I had a few years back with a friend about her crocs...

Jinx: "Why would you wear them out in public? They're SO goofy-looking!"
Friend: "I know, but they're so comfortable!"
Jinx: "Yeah, but slippers are 'so comfortable'...do you wear your slippers out in public?"
Friend: "No."
Jinx: "Why not?"
Friend: "Cuz it would look weird."
Jinx: "!"

Now I'm no slave of fashion! Believe you me!! I've never owned a designer anything in my life. But c'mon! When people like ME are able to point out a shoe fashion faux-pa, it's SERIOUSLY time to consider a change in footwear.

Please, wear them around the house, in the garden, even to the beach...I could see that. But people, please. They're not "cute". They're bad. So very, very bad.

3 comments:

Thaddeus said...

I would be fine with wearing slippers in public. I used to own a great comfy pair of moccasins.

Paul said...

I agree on two counts... the 4x100 was AMAZING and I also think crocs should be outdone by chanilas...

Anonymous said...

Crocs are very ugly. I do own a couple of pairs so I could wear them to work because they are, or used to be comfotable. After two days of wearing them to work my arch started to hurt because there is no arch support in them. People are now starting to have feet problems because of this, yet they still wear them. People don't even clean them so they get all gross and nasty. So I agree that crocs should be outlawed to the privacy of your own home.