Monday, June 18, 2007

So You Think You Can Direct...

I'm a big believer that dreams are roughly comprised of 2% of our inner thoughts, fears, etc, and 98% random stuff influenced by what we've seen/heard/done lately. Before last night's dream, one should first know a few things: (A) I've recently been spending a lot of time working on movie for my family's annual summer film festival "GarlickDance", (B) a new reality show entitled "On The Lot" has recently begun in which a group of young filmmakers are vying for a movie deal with DreamWorks Studios....I watch regularly, and (C) two night's ago my brother came home with a poster book of stills from the movie "Labyrinth", which I looked through.

*** June 16-17, 2007 ***

I was in a filmmaking competition in which all of the contestants had been divided-up into two teams. As fortune would have it, my mom was also on my team, and my buddy Corey was on the other. In this challenge, we were playing a version of the classic TV show, "Supermarket Sweep." Our teams were to run through a grocery store, grabbing items and bringing them back to our team's bin, then at the end the winner would be the team who had the ingredients to make the most sandwiches.

When time ran out and we went back for the official ruling of which team had the most sandwich-making supplies, our team was shocked to see that most of our stuff that we'd grabbed wasn't there! In fact, we now only had 3 loaves of bread (compared to the dozens in our opponents' bin)! That's the worst thing to be short of, because you can't make sandwiches if you don't have bread! Of course, the accusations immediately began flying, and members of the other team were actually quite quick to confess that they'd hidden much of the sandwich loot that we'd found.

Right about then, a voice came over the store's intercom system announcing that David Bowie (rock singer and star of the movie "Labyrinth") was outside in his trailer and that he would be signing autographs and giving instructions for the competition's next event. Of course everyone bolted for the doors. I never did see David, however, because I woke up right about then.

***

By far my favorite part of this whole thing was that in a movie-making contest we had a task to see who could come up with the most sandwich-making supplies.

What a fun show that supermarket sweep was, though, wasn't it? Alright, it was actually a pretty hokey show, but I always wanted a chance to run through a store like that, madly grabbing stuff off the shelves and throwing it into my cart. I remember as a child some contest - I'm thinking it was put on by Kool-Aid - in which the grand prize was a 2 or 3 minute shopping spree in KB Toys. My brother and I actually drew maps of our local toy store and would plot what course we'd take and write down the top few items that we'd be sure to grab...Of course, it wasn't much of a course through the store, since it was basically just bee-lining it to the video game section and grabbing all that we could.

...Good times.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm not sure about your composition of dreams...being 98% random stuff that we've seen/heard or done lately. Most of my dreams are so way out there and far from anything that I have recently experienced that there are times I wonder...is there someone planting stuff in my head at night? If so, they are one weird cookie!

So...do you ever interpret your dreams?

Jinx said...

I think you're actually agreeing with me, just maybe not with the way I worded it. I probably should have said "random stuff OR STUFF that we've...". I just mean that in my opinion 98% of dreams are completely un-interpretable. It's just random stuff with no "meaning" per se. I do think that the general thing we're feeling during a dream often has some bearing to real life, as our current emotional state typically presents itself someway into dreams, but yeah, anyway...

I think that basically answers your other question too. No, I don't believe in dream interpretation except for, as stated above, the emotions being felt during the dream.

For example, I've been feeling really pressured to get my GarlickDance movie done and I'm quickly running out of time...then in my dream about a movie making competition we're in a timed event where we're frantically trying to get items before some time runs out. I think that feeling of being rushed presented itself, but everything else I think was completely random strangeness.

Jinx said...

Actually, I just went back and re-read what I wrote, and I stand by what I have there. I said that 98% of dreams are "random stuff INFLUENCED by what we've seen/heard/done lately". That IS what meant. It's not ALL stuff we've seen/heard/done, but the randomness is often influenced by it. =)

Thaddeus said...

I used to have a knack for interpreting people's dreams. Back on my mission, I would try to recall and write down my nightly adventures and the meaning would seems so plain to me. My companions' dreams too.

You are right, Jinx. It has more to do with the emotions and reactions than specific events, people, or objects in your dream.

Elissamae said...

What about scary dreams? Sometimes, it is something I have never even thought about, but they still scare me? Maybe that is the other 2%, or maybe it reveals to ourselves what we are scared of? Deep philosophical ideas by Hollywood!!!