Monday, June 25, 2007

A Common School Dream

*** Dreamt June 23-24, 2007 ***

It was nearly the end of the spring semester at school and I was thinking about how grand it would be when summer was here. It was then that my old high school buddy and former bandmate Eli asked, "How's your spanish class coming?" Suddenly the horror of the situtation hit me. I forgot I'd signed up for 2nd year spanish! Not only had I not attended a single time this semester, but I also took it last semester and never attended then either!! How could I have forgotten?!?!

"I'm sure you can make it up," Eli consoled me, "it can't be that hard for you." Now Eli's a pretty darn good spanish speaker - he took it all though high school and when he got to Chile on his mission in his first area people were known to comment on how strange it was that he spoke better than his trainer...much to the chagrin of his companion - so him telling me that made me feel pretty good, 'cuz if he thought I spoke spanish well enough to still pass the course, I thought I probably was. I had to find Señor Mansfield (my spanish teacher, who in real life was my 9th grade spanish teacher) and explain to him the situtation...I have no idea what there really was to explain, I mean, I'd been absent from class for months with absolutely no excuse, nevertheless I was sure that he'd understand.

I ran down the halls of the university - which somehow as I ran turned into my Junior High School - and out the doors to the portable where Señor Mansfield class was held. I burst through the doors, gasping for breath, only to find no one there. It was such a disappointment, and the reality that I was going to have two F's on my permanent record overcame me. It was at about this point that I, quite gratefully, woke up.

***

Why is this such a common dream? Isn't it kindof bizarre that there is a such a thing as "common dreams" at all? I mean, dreams seem so random and yet there are many dreams (such as the Realizing-That-You-Forgot-To-Attend-A-Class-All-Semester dream) that seem to be experience by pretty much everybody from time to time.

Another super common one is that you're in public and find that you accidentally left the house without any clothes on. Why do we all have these dream? I really don't think that we have these fears.....not once have I ever been out in public and suddenly had the panicky thought, "Oh my gosh! Did I remember to put on clothes after I showered today?!?"

It's a strange phenomenon, but alas, I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

3 comments:

Elissamae said...

Jinx, I must admit, I have never had a dream similar to either of the ones you spoke of. Maybe I am abnormal though...wait...uh...nevermind :)

Willie said...

This is weird. I have been out of school for over a year now and just the other night I had a dream that I had forgotten to attend two of my classes for like the entire semester (I think I had gone the first day). It was really weird that you happened to mention that in your post today. I didn't realize they were common.

Thaddeus said...

Last night I dreamt I could fly, or at least jump quite high and float. I kept landing on things and causing havoc for people, and then I would leap away to do it again somewhere else. I felt bad for doing mean things to people, but I also enjoyed it.

Then the city construction crew came into our garage and remodeled it. They moved a big wall back and put in a special utility room. They also had all of us helping stick tiles on the wall for a mural. The tiles weren't sticking well for me and I asked for some glue, but the foreman said the glue would make me crazy if I got it on my skin.

Finally, I looked at the finished mural and it was caricatured portraits of all the US presidents. Mine and some of the non-professionals' portraits turned out a little fuzzy (Abe Lincoln), but overall it was quite impressive.

I remember wondering why the city had chosen the US presidents for our garage and then I realized that it must have been because they had seen our large collection of framed presidential portraits, which we have always had hanging on the garage walls.